European Voluntary Service
Since 1997, Trans Europe Halles has coordinated youth exchange programs such as the Youth Exchange Project and The Lift, all aimed at fostering the exchange of volunteers between the network’s member centres. These projects have supported our members in getting started to send and host volunteers within the European Voluntary Service-scheme and encouraged young volunteers to develop their own project ideas within a professional environment.
The European Voluntary Service (EVS) is an international volunteer programme funded by the European Commission. It enables all young people aged 18-30, who are legally residing in Europe to participate in an international volunteering opportunity in an organisation or in a public body in Europe, Africa, Asia or South America for a period ranging from 2 to 12 months. EVS is a unique opportunity to come into contact with cultures different from your own and to acquire new skills and abilities useful for your personal and professional growth. EVS is based on the following principles:
- increasing your own skills through the practical experience of volunteering abroad;
- encouraging the learning of another language;
- developing the ability to interact with persons of different language and culture;
- spreading tolerance among young people of the European Union;
- promoting active citizenship;
- supporting the development of local communities.