community based cinema, art space and urban garden
Salaam cinema is a community based cinema and art space, run by a team of creatives to create social awareness through artistic practices and build bridges between communities, social classes and cultures.
The team has a horizontal organizational structure and operates the space by the fundamental principles of inclusivity, equality and diversity.
– Offer quality programming of creative films, performances, exhibitions & educational events
– Support local film-making and film history. The cinema’s audience gets the chance to discover new Azerbaijani films and rediscover movies which have written the Azerbaijani film history.
– Support local artists and encourage community collaboration
– Draw inspiration from the city and activate the local urban vision
– Create opportunities for young creative to develop personal skills
– Build and exchange collective knowledge through non-formal education and experiential processes
What makes the organisation unique?
Salaam Cinema is unique due to their practices of commoning; establishing a safe space for isolated groups in conservative societies; fostering an environment for the personal development of women & lgbtqi+ members; film & artistic programming that focuses on films from the region and increasing representation of women & lgbtqi+.
What TEH projects are they a part of?
Large Concert Hall (audience capacity: more than 300), Outdoor stage, Multifunction Hall, Garden, Courtyard, Art Gallery, Co-working Space, Library, Multi-purpose Space, Meeting Room, Workshop room, Cinema, Artists Studio, Rehearsal or Practice Room
Research, Production, Distribution, Exhibition and Programming, Education and Training, Financing and grant making, National advocacy
Music, Theatre / Performance, Dance, Visual Arts, Multimedia and interactive Arts, Ecology and Sustainability, Democratic and civil society development, Art residencies, Film, Crafts, Community and Relational Arts, Education, Publishing, Architecture and Urbanism
Religious Building, Utilities and Communication Infrastructure