We are looking for an archivist intern
Trans Europe Halles is actively looking for a motivated student in archival or library studies to join its international team in Lund, Sweden, starting on 1 January 2023.
- Unpaid Internship
- Hours: Full-time 1.0 FTE (40 hours per week)
- Benefits: Monthly transportation pass reimbursed, Sports and well-being benefit.
- Start date: January 2023
About Trans Europe Halles
Trans Europe Halles is a pan European network with more than 140 members in 40 European countries in every part of the continent initiated by citizens and artists.
We have been at the forefront of repurposing industrial and commercial buildings for arts, culture and community uses since 1983. TEH members are multidisciplinary spaces that combine artistic and social activities, as they believe that arts and culture have the power to transform people, spaces and societies.
The coordination team consists of 11 skilled and motivated people from different professional backgrounds and origins (Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa), and a long record of international experience. TEH’s communication language is English.
About the position
This internship is a great opportunity for a student willing to work in an international NGO. You will get a chance to set the foundations of a historical archive for Trans Europe Halles and tell the story of our 40-year-old network through documents and materials belonging to personal collections across Europe. You will be given an opportunity to travel and present the result of your work to the Trans Europe Halles members at the 40th anniversary conference of our network in Leipzig in June 2023.
In addition, you will also assist The Director of Finance and Administration and the Director of Communications in the definition and implementation of our archive strategy.
Reports to: The Director of Finance and Administration
Works with: The Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Manager, the Administration Assistant, other colleagues within the Trans Europe Halles Office, the network members and Ambassadors, contractors.
Main purpose of the position
- Analyse and reorganise our archival content (administrative documents, project archives, communications, photos, videos, ect) to fit our new online management system (Migration to Office 365 completed in 2022)
- Identify, collect, organise, select, catalogue, and process materials that could constitute our Network’s historical archive collection and design a strategy for its conservation.
Key responsibilities and outcomes
Assistance to the Director of Finance and Administration
- Designing archival policies and procedures for Trans Europe Halles, with regard to processing, indexing and accessing physical and digital administrative, financial and past project-related documents, including retention policy and schedule for the historic records of the archive, utilising recognised archival and records management principles, and methods and suggesting appropriate tools;
- Implementing these policies and procedures to reorganise our documents and make them easy to find and to access in the Microsoft 365 environment;
- Physical library inventory and clean up;
- Assisting with data cleanup and inventory.
Assistance to the Director of Communications
- Designing archival policies and procedures for Trans Europe Halles, with regard to processing, indexing and accessing audio-video-image-digital archives, utilising recognised archival and records management principles, and methods;
- Creating a multimedia archive database system with finding aids and descriptive metadata;
- Providing support and content for the Trans Europe Halles’ website, social media and other publications as required;
- Identifying and communicating with the owners of Trans Europe Halles related archival documents and materials (art centers or individuals);
- Helping map, collect, identify and assess the archival value of the materials identified and collected;
- Inventorying and describing of the materials;
- Creating database records;
- Designing a strategy for the conservation of these documents and materials (physical and digital).
- Be a master’s student with a specialisation in archives principles and practices and/or library studies, and currently enrolled in an accredited higher education program.
- Currently live or be ready to relocate to Sweden shortly. Be a Schengen citizen or hold a residency permit in Sweden and be open and able to travel. Please note that this is an unpaid internship position. Unfortunately Trans Europe Halles cannot provide housing for this position. If relocating from abroad, the student must ensure that they have the financial means to support themselves for 6 months in Sweden.
- Proficiency in Miscrosoft 365 environment.
- Have an empathetic and easy communication style, able to relate to a wide range of people.
- Are VERY organised, detail oriented, reliable, accountable and responsible.
- Respond well to stress, can manage multiple responsibilities and meet sharp deadlines
- Have an interest in arts and culture, architecture and urbanism and/or social justice.
- Are a team player understanding the ethos of our organisation.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Swedish is an asset. Other European languages are welcome!
How to apply
Please send your application (CV + cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org before 1 December 2022.
Trans Europe Halles is an equal opportunity employer that values all knowledge and cultures, and we are committed to the advancement of women, visible minorities, and people with disabilities.
We strongly encourage all candidates from these designated groups to apply for our career opportunities.